Of Mirrors and Public Toilets



I WROTE THIS SHORT PIECE AT THE END OF 2007. 
IT WAS FOR A MURAL TO PROMOTE OUR NEW LITERARY MAGAZINE.




of mirrors and public toilets


There is something wrong with mirrors. There is, in particular, one wrong thing about mirrors, and that is this: that cats cannot see them. I remember in my youth I had a beta fish. We were told they grow lonely, but that they are also aggressive and will fight or even kill any other fish that goes near it. The only solution that the minds of our time had been able to concoct was to place a mirror in front of the fish from time to time so that it could fight itself. How many times in a day do you see a mirror?

I had wanted to speak about God, but I took the liberty to assume that mirrors are seen more frequently. I will now assume that all of you have used a public bathroom at least once in your life.

A cool breeze is a welcomed gift on a hot summer day. It is not as easily enjoyed, however, when I'm on a public toilet. Where is this breeze coming from? In a particularly cold bathroom, a cool breeze will paralyze my bowels. Those not familiar with this dilemma may laugh now. Go ahead: laugh. But let me ask you this. If I can see people outside from inside the toilet stall, can they also see me?




Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. i have the same feeling when i use public toilets!... i think the only solution is to carry a color tape and cover the crevices. but then, i always forget to bring the tape.

    ReplyDelete