bright eyes: official story of my discovery



bright eyes: offical story of my discovery


Diana. Chris Castro. Saddle-Creek.

Some time in March (this was written in 2006), Diana asks me if I like Bright Eyes. I was taken by surprise, not so much because I rarely have ocassion to speak with Diana, I think I was talking with her at the moment, but because I had no idea what she was talking about. After senseless babbling I manage to ask who are they. She says it's a band by this guy from some place really far away, like Montana or something, and that they're "really good." After a while I go back to my usual seat and from there I hear her talk about a show and that it was really awesome and the guy was drunk so it was really funny...of course, I assumed she was talking about Bright Eyes...but now I can't remember if I heard all that on that same day or some time later that week.


Anyways, that same week I hear Chris Castro talk to Ms. Barkow about this awesome band...Bright Eyes. He went to a show over the weekend and the guy was drunk so it was funny as hell, but they put up an awesome show. The music is great, hard to explain, but different. So... having heard of the same band on the same week I found myself eager to hear new music, as I always am. Besides, one should always listen to cute strange girls: that's how I came to learn of The Offspring and Good Charlotte.


That Friday I spent the night researching and downloading songs from Bright Eyes, available through the Saddle Creek Records website. I basically googled "Bright Eyes" and found that this was the official site. (It turns out that the "guy" from Bright Eyes happens to be Conor Oberst, the same guy from Desaparecidos; Stephen Palahach brought a song from them in the ninth grade for an English project, "What's New For Fall?," a song I still like). I liked the music and came to like it even more after listening to the lyrics and what they had to say. Eventually Chris found out I liked them and copied his copy of "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" on a computer in cinematography class so I could burn it on a later date . And as it turns out, Diana had been to the same show, the one for the album I burned at school, which she borrowed from me to copy at home.
Next PostNewer Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment