my now spiffy apartment



The BYU Bookstore had a variety of posters on sale this week: Star Wars, The Avengers, TV shows, corny photos of people kissing under the Eiffel Tower. Among all these posters: legit art from Van Gogh and Monet. To my surprise, the Van Gogh posters were only $2.99, whereas the Avengers posters were $9.99. Not that there's anything wrong with The Avengers...but, c'mon! Most legit art was actually on sale for $2.99, including Klimt, Van Gogh, and Monet. So now I've got a 24 x 36 inch copy of Van Gogh's Starry Night greeting me when I come home.

The real conundrum was whether or not I should get the Chat Noir poster, which was $6.99. You have to understand that by this point I had already bought an Abbey Road poster, a copy of Edvard Munch's The Scream, and two Van Gogh's, thus surpassing my "miscellaneous" budget for the week. Also, looking at the poster I knew it was either a clumsy reproduction or a very early version of the original advertisement by Theophile Steinlen, so I wasn't particularly inclined to buy it. But the colors, man! I remembered going to Kyla's apartment and seeing her red and yellow couch pillows and thinking: I need these colors! So I bought it.


Using clear photo tape, I put my two Van Gogh's and the Chat Noir poster up on my white living room walls, and they look awesome! My apartment looks sooo spiffy. Now, spiffy is a word used somewhat often but seldom understood. In fact, I used it to compliment (not complement) Emily the other day...and I wasn't quite sure I was using it the right way.


So my apartment now looks smart in appearance. In other words, it looks really stylish.

And no, Little Lamb, I don't think Van Gogh is "crap art." I was just kidding when I said it.



Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment